Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dragon Wings and Such

Pat doesn't understand why I want to put tons of plants into one container.  I suppose I have Pinterest and other gardening blogs to blame for that!

Pinned on Pinterest--Photo Credit:  Daryl Mitchell

Combining plants in a planter adds interest and beauty.  Although, I admit I am still quite a novice at the art.  Last year I designed a container arrangement in a beautiful green bowl, shown below.  Unfortunately, the drought and heat got to the new plants, and only the spider plant survived.

Spider plant, Angel wing begonia and other plants
in green bowl--July 2011
Here is the 2012 version.  I've added a succulent and Dusty Miller to the spider plant.  I'm sorry, but I don't know the name of the succulent.  It's a little annoying when plants are not labeled at the garden store and no one knows what they are, but I'm willing to give just about anything a try.

The angle is a little off, but the spider plant is growing well, Dusty Miller
is in the background, and the succulent is doing well in the
foreground.  I already know I'll have to transplant the spider
at the end of summer.
Here is another container garden for 2012--and it's my pride and joy!  I have crammed this planter with Dragon wing begonias, money wort (I think), Dusty Miller, and two baby spider plants.  May the fittest survive...the rest will be plucked up and re-potted or composted!!

Dragon wing begonia container--2012
Finally, just so everyone knows I really do some gardening around the yard, I made Pat take a picture of me.  I'm laughing because I know it's a horrible picture!

Boneygirl--the Southwest Gardner!



No comments:

Post a Comment