Saturday, April 28, 2012

Beets, Beet Salad & Lettuces

Nothing like fresh!
This week marks the end of the lettuce-growing season for the Boney household.  We've cleared the row for okra and whatever else Mr. Pat will plant.  The beets are filling out nicely.  Last weekend I made some beet salad, and this weekend I will make some more.  Neighbors and friends will be surprised this week with a small harvest.  Next weekend is already very busy, but I know I'll have to make time to pickle some more beets. We have a lot of beets in the garden, still!!

Other weekend tasks:

  1. Plant 2 more Salvias--Hot Lips and 2 more Guaras!  I am so excited to be planting some more Guaras, plus--the Guara I thought we had lost to the drought has come back!  We'll have 3 now!
  2. Fertilize container flowers
  3. Dead-head knock-out roses
  4. Harvest some collards and squash for supper
  5. Pick at a few more weeds and grasses

Beet Salad Recipe

Wash beets well, removing all the dirt.  To cook, I like to clip the greens off, leaving about 1 to 2 inches of the stalk.  I do not clip the root until after they have boiled. I boil the beets until fork-tender then toss into ice water until completely cooled.  The skins slip right off, and I slice right away.  Be sure to wear an old t-shirt because beet juice stains quite nicely!

Dressing


I make a type of balsamic vinaigrette.  I like 1 part red wine vinegar to 1 part balsamic vinegar.  Last time I used basil, but I think I like a little fresh thyme better--about 1 to 2 tablespoons.  Add some crushed or minced garlic and salt and pepper to taste.  Mix well. Whip in 1 to 1 1/2 parts olive oil (or more if you like...I like my dressings vinegary).  When I'm finished I have enough dressing to coat the beets well, but not completely covered.  Probably about 2/3 to 1 cup of dressing.

Pour dressing over beets and slice some onion into rings.  Put all into a bowl with a lid that snaps tight.  Shake over the sink until well-blended (when I don't shake it over the sink, it winds up on the floor or all over me!)  Put in the fridge for at least 2 hours (or into the freezer for about 30 minutes) to chill well.

This is good the first day, but fantastic after about 2 or 3 days in the fridge.  This will keep about a week in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment